CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 17, 2009

Just as Stressful!!

Scott and I have decided that it is time that we begin the process of looking for a new car. This will not be my first new car, I had bought a car when I began teaching 9 years ago. I know... I have been out of college that long!! I went with my mother and she pretty much kept me calm. The car salesman, Alex, was very nice and let me sleep on the decision. I was looking at a 368 dollar a month payment. After sleeping on it... I thought, "what the hell, you have a job and it is a good investment" so I bought my Chystler Sebring. Well that was back in 2001.

2009 has arrived and we are about to have two children. We want a larger car to haul everything. We do not qualify for the cash for clunkers program because we are looking at an SUV. Yea... I am not a minivan person. I just cannot bring myself to looking at a minivan, yet driving one. So we are looking at new Honda CRVs and Pilot and new Ford Escapes and Explorers.

After a couple restless nights, dreaming about the debt we are about to go into and how we are going to have to really watch what we spend, I think that this is the time to sit down with the sales people and let them work out a deal for us. I jsut wish I was better at negotiating. People keep telling me that you can chew the price down, but I do nto know how to do that and no one offers this advice so I think we aer on our own.

This is just as bad as buying a house!! Ask our friend Jackie how nervouse I was with that. I was a basketcase!! I think that I will be like this with buying a car. But if we get a car, at least I can say I bought it myself!! I am growing up, not that I did not buy my Sebring myself... I was a first time car buyer and needed a co- signer.

Wish us luck!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always heard to just say you only have X amount to spend and if they can not meet it then just walk out.

But you are talking to someone who has never bought a car :-)

I have been around when my parents bought cars though and have seen my dad get down right crazy but he did walk away with a good deal.

Did you ask Keith? Remember he use to sell cars so he could be a big help!

Good luck!