CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Catholic Schools Week 2010

This past week has been very busy for not only me, but St. Clare as well. It was Catholic Schools Week. I am in charge of making sure there are enough events planned for the entire week and so the teachers can have some fun as well. I think that this was one of the best CSW ever.

Sunday was the kick off Mass at 9 a.m. I had students doing the readings, altar serving, and offering the gifts. At the beginning of Mass I was scolded by a parishioner because she did not know she would not be lectoring. My question was, "how long have we been doing CSW Mass on this Sunday? It is on the calendar a year in advance." Mass then went on as planned. Everyone did very well. But then, it all crumbled. At the end of Mass I was collecting song sheets when a woman came up to me asking why I had not given her a song sheet. She accused me of being a racist because I overlooked her. I really did not. I was in a hurry to get the papers out with little distraction, but not in her mind. I did it on perpose for her.

Open house then went well. Had a few families that walked through who were very interested in the school. This is good because we need students.

Monday was buddy day for the kids. In the afternoon grades were paired up and made flowers for the flowermart in May. They also made cards for the sisters at the SSND Motherhouse where we have a sister living. Teachers dressed as their favorite t.v./ movie character. I went as Kate from LOST. We also had House, Willy Wanka, and iCarly.

Tuesday was Open House for parents. I hate this day most of all. I get so nervouse. But it went well. I did not have many parents. In fact I only had one mom, a set of grandparents, and a grandmom. We did group activities and they did very well. Teachers dressed as their favorite sport. I went as a swimmer (no I did not wear a bathingsuit). I wore typical wind pants, an olymics t-shirt and goggles around my neck. Kids were really getting into guessing who we were dressed as at this point.

Wednesday we had a little snow over night and a 2 hour delay. This did not cancel our activities. Dr. Skipp Sanders, the assistant superintendant for the archdiocese, came to do storytime with the kids. He read "The Mountains of Tibet" witht he little kids and began "So B- It" witht he older kids. He is such a great story teller. THe kids really enjoyed the story that I am now finishing the book with them in class.
Teachers dressed in their favorite storybook or nursury rhyme character. We had Pippy Longstocking (me), Nancy Drew, Alexander, the Wimpy kid and his diary, Jill from Jack and Jill, Thing one and thing two, Dr. Suess, and Rudolph.

Thursday was career day. I have been planning this day from August. I wanted to be prepared before I went out on maternity leave. I was. We had eleven great speakers including engineers, nurses, police sergeant, homicide detective, NOAA, and HAZMAT. We even had trhe guys who do the light shows and fireworks for the RAVENS some. Poe our mascot for the Raven during home games came in to meet the kids. This was the only picture I wanted taken of me this week. I got it. For teachers it was favorite band or singer. Surprise, I went as Bon Jovi. We also had GreenDay, Black Eyed Peas, Soni and Cher, the Chipettes, and the conductress for the BSO. Great Day!!

Friday was a half day. We honored the teachers in the morning giving them their Thank you boxes. And for the first time I was honored for all the work I do for CSW. I have always had thank you, but never thanked in front of the whole school. An eighth grader even had a littel surprise for me. It was really nice. It is nice to be recognized by your co-workers for all the work you do for them, and most importantly by your boss. I enjoy working for her. For teachers, it was favorit historic figure. I was Elenor Roosevelt, but was also had Amelia Earhart, Annie Oakley, and some others I cannot remember right now.



Now we are in a Blizzard, so the snow came at the right time. It is the first time nothing has had to be cancelled durint CSW!!

No comments: