Dear Creul World,
Who has the right to decide how a woman should look, be treated, and how fashion should be designed? I am frustrated at how women are looked at in the world today. For many there is an issue with weight and appearence. We first think to blame this on men, but in actuallity we should also be blaming the fashion designers and standards for models. In my life I have never wanted to be a model because you hear so many horror stories about what they do to stay thin. Your larger models are looked at with disgust. There used to bewhat was called "average size" also, but that has been squashed and now it is either perfect medel size or plus size.
After watching a clip about a "plus size" model who is only a size 10 having her pictures altered to make her look like a size two, I got upset. I was not upset over the fact that they has altered her appearence, but upset that a size ten (once considered average) was now considered a plus size.
So world here it is-- I have size 10s in my closet (most of then, but I have some 8s as well as some size 12- for after having the babies)- therefore I am PLUS SIZE!!
I may somedays feel plus size, but I have never gone as far as saying I am plus size. I do not shop in the plus size stores.
For many girls, from fourth grade up, and even sometimes younger than that, body image is a MAJOR issue. I would never want to see my daughter (if I have one), or neices hate their bodies because of what the media says. It is hard to tell the girls of all ages that they are beautiful and should be proud of who they are and what they look like, but it is hard with the media telling them the exact opposite. We are who we are. As long as you are healthy what else should matter. But as we all know this is not the case. We are ruled by images of women and girls who are considered by some people, and I do not who gave them the authority to decide this, to be what society should be. All this does though is give right to harass others, have eating disorders, and to become depressed. I have seen this win the school setting and it is sad.
So how can we change this? I am 30 years old, worked hard to lose weight and become somewhat confident in my own body, but there are still some doubts, especially when a size 10 is considered a plus size. People need to consider health issues, women having children, and much much more.
If everyone were a size 0, what would out world be like? We all look the same. I would imagine it would put a lot of people out of business- fashion designers, bakers, food industry, etc.
So in conclusion, I am just frustrated. Some things need to change for the good.
Sincerely,
The newest person in the world to have an eating disorder!!
Friday, July 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment